A weekly opportunity to explore your inner strength and become your best self
Young people the world over are struggling with issues that our forebears didn’t have to content with. Cyber bullying, pornography, promiscuity, teen dating, substance abuse, obesity, on-screen violence, peer pressure, obsession with appearance, the pressure of materialism and a shifting economy … to name but a few.
South African youth have all these problems and more. We struggle with racism, inequality, negative stereotyping, crime, extreme poverty, education disparity, bleak employment options, fragmented families, AIDS, physical and sexual abuse, teen pregnancies, depression and suicide. These issues are all particularly prevalent in South Africa – in addition to the problems that youth are experiencing around the world.
“The struggle young people face these days is being lost; most of us don’t know where we come from and we don’t know where we are going. We have no direction.” – Sandiso Zungu, a student quoted in The Daily Vox, 9 January, 2019 www.thedailyvox.co.za/challenges-young-south-africans-really-facing-today
Brahma Kumaris has created pockets of support in the form of weekly, structured, one-and-a-half hour discussion groups, where young people can embark on an inward journey, and explore their true identity and self-worth with the guidance of an experienced yogi. Youth Power offers a safe, empathetic and aesthetically attractive space for emotional sharing … a space in which youth can discuss and find some practical and spiritual answers (or at least a sympathetic listening) to the overwhelming problems facing them.
- Facilitate informative dialogue, life coaching, real and empathetic listening, as well as silent and guided meditation
- Explore topics, such as:
- Identity, image and comparison
- Diet, nutrition and higher vibrations
- Meditation practice
- Healthy routines
- The value of community
- Social media
- Having stuff
- Creating meaning by helping others
- And much more
- Provide a moral compass for living
- Challenge young people to re-create their inner and outer environments by being deeply in touch with themselves.
- Explore information, networks and opportunities that bring young people closer to their goals
- Teach young people to develop their inner capacity to make values-based choices and decisions that lead to positive, constructive outcomes
- Take place in the framework of mutual respect, confidentiality, peacefulness and speaking from the heart.
- Inner peace, tranquillity and contentment
- Increased sense of dignity, self-worth and self-respect
- A sense of being valued and belonging to a caring community
- Increased emotional resilience
- Reduced stress, anxiety, fear, anger and depression
- Increased inner power and courage
- Increased freedom and inner independence
- Clarity and certainty about one’s place in the world
- Improved communication and relationships
- Hope, optimism and a viable vision for the future.
Who is this for?
Youth Power is for young people of all cultures, faiths, ages and backgrounds, between the ages of 15 and 25 (give or take).
Longer nature retreats and other events are also occasionally organised.
Brahma Kumaris collaborates with organisations from all sectors, youth NGOs, government bodies, community and faith groups that want to introduce spiritual skills and values in working with young people. If you would like to collaborate with us or are in a position to host a weekly Youth Power event in your community, please contact us via the form below.
All Brahma Kumaris events are offered free of charge, in a welcoming, safe and non-judgemental environment. All are welcome! Donations are appreciated, but not required.
Please check our monthly calendar of EVENTS to see if and when this particular offering is available at a centre close to you. If not, and you would like to see it presented in your suburb, town or city or at your organisation, please send us a message via the form at the bottom of this page.
Brahma Kumaris is a registered non-profit organization NPO 066-100.
Administrative Head Office:
28 Judith Street, Observatory
TEL (+27) (0) 11 718 3001
SIGN UP FOR E-MAIL UPDATES – such as a monthly calendar of events for the centre closest to you. * Required information.
We will send you a link to download four beautiful Pause for Peace screen-savers, just for making contact!